history



Wilson’s Mills Baptist Church was founded in 1884 by a small band of God-fearing people. The original charter members were: Gaston and Edith Bridges, Jennie Talton, D. S. and Mary Stevens, Fannie Davis, Charlie and Nannie Barbour, Mrs. M. E. Wall, Munroe and Jennie Jones and J. T. Holt. Their faithfulness sustains and enriches our generation, and we are profoundly grateful for what they, and others who followed, have bequeathed to us.

Services for the newly organized church were first held in a one-room school building. Rev. J. W. Rose served as the first pastor. 

history


Around 1896, the school system sold the building and through the sacrifice and labor of the early members logs were cut and lumber was sawed from which a one-room building was constructed on land donated by Mr. Burkett Jones. Mr. J. T. Holt made the pews, altar table and chairs (which are displayed throughout this new facility). Sunday School rooms were added later. This second facility served the church well and due to growth, both spiritual and numeric, in 1939 the members caught God’s vision for a new church building.



history

In April, 1941 an acre of land was purchased from Evelyn Wilson for ten dollars, ground breaking was held and construction started on the third facility to be home to Wilson’s Mills Baptist Church. The church building was dedicated on August 27, 1944 with the Reverend George McLeod Bryan preaching the dedication sermon.

From that point to the present, the demographics of Wilson’s Mills have certainly changed. Gone by the wayside are most of the family farms that once dotted the community. In their place, God has sent people and these people have built homes and neighborhoods have sprouted all around. God has opened up a mission field and these fields are now “white unto harvest” with men, women, boys and girls who are waiting to hear the Gospel message.

history

As the century changed from twenty to twenty-one, the church began to see the need for a new church building and the vision was cast. A Building Committee was elected in February, 2001 to pursue land options. On Easter Sunday, April 8, 2007, groundbreaking was held for this the fourth structure to be home to Wilson’s Mills Baptist Church. And on June 1, 2008, the vision became a reality as we dedicated our new facility at 652 Swift Creek Road.

Our mission to this community has not changed, has not wavered, since those early days when the charter members gathered in a one-room schoolhouse. Today, we have more than 550 members and we are still following God’s will in telling the story of Jesus Christ to our community.

Today, however, we face that challenge with a new home, a home dedicated to God. Although we cannot pay back those that have served before us, in gratitude we will strive to be faithful stewards of what we have received by passing it on.

To God be the glory!